Friday, May 8, 2009

Movies That I Only Watch on Planes!

I am watching a movie on a flight to Vancouver right now. Its rather touching and I have just had a bit of a revelation.

I think that I am a bit of a sop for movies about underdogs or unrequited love.
My preference has always been for movies that are fast paced, with gratuitous amounts of sex and violence and in watching this ridiculously touching movie starring Dustin Hoffman - Last Chance Harvey Shine - (with Emma Thompson) I am really moved.

Quite sad; though I am even sadder for the bruising I am taking from the rather rotund and large hipped, big boned South-Asian stewardess as she continually knocks my shoulders for the umpteenth time as she waddles past......

When I look back, I have watched numerous movies on airlines over the years that I would not give a second thought too at Blockbuster or when they arrive in the Theatres (still havent seen Titanic); because they simply don't fit my preference for the fast paced gratuitous sex and violence or for a crime drama thriller British style that I particularly enjoy.

So looking back I can name a few movies that have absolutely surprised me that I have watched on planes that fit that category; but were surpisingly enjoyable though somewhat light on story, some of which are now firm favourites.

Marley & Me; The Notebook; Teh Reader; The Namesake (a movie that I truly love and is now one of my favourites of all time); Valkyrie, a really good movie with an outstanding performance by Tom Cruise (a man I love to hate yet, I find it difficult to criticize the majority of his movies, in fact I really enjoy the majority of his movies).

The list goes on and not wishing to bore you any further will stop there and continue this idiotically enjoyable movie about the human condition as it speaks to loneliness. Shine on Harvey!

No comments:

Post a Comment