Tuesday, May 12, 2009

An acrimonious letter of complaint to Bill Caroll , Host of CFRB 1010 Morning Show

I had the bad luck to be listening to a repeat of your morning show last evening on CFRB and was appalled by your callous attitude towards the suffering of the Tamils in Sri-Lanka. I believe I understand why it is so many listeners consider you a racist based on the attitude you adopt on your show.

While I don't subscribe to that theory, your evidently polarizing approach and contempt for a minority that is suffering, not to mention your reference to the Tamil protesters, in a fashion that would suggest that they are not worthy enough to have the ability to protest in a fashion of they choosing, including breaking the law, screams your contempt at them for trying to bring attention to the slaughter of their families overseas.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you that walking onto the Gardiner Expressway can only be deemed dangerous; but I suspect that the women and children were not the first to get up the ramp, that’s not me making excuses either, and I wholly agree that breaking the law is not something that should be supported.

Nonetheless you missed the point completely as you excoriated the Tamil spokesperson, threw scorn on the fact that the Tamil community here in Toronto are caring enough of their relatives and former country men and women, in their old homeland, to want to elicit our government to try some form of intervention.

The fact that you also chose to rant in an ignorant fashion about what they thought they would achieve, shows how much you miss the point. Yes folks were and have been inconvenienced by the protest rallies over the last few weeks, myself included; but if you look at the amount of media coverage received by the action taken Sunday, and the responses from various arms of government at the Provincial and Federal level, then that would suggest to me that the Tamils are receiving the interest that they have been trying to attract.

After the genocide that we observed in Rwanda, as Canadians we like to see ourselves as peacekeepers and helping the downtrodden, we have a large population of Canadians of Tamil extraction who are asking for the government of Stephen Harper to use its diplomatic channels to approach international partners at the UN to bring pressure to bear to stop the slaughter; yet you mockingly ask what they hope to achieve, and in fact dismissively imply, its just noisy brown people (my emphasis) breaking the law, putting their children in jeopardy and worse, god forbid inconveniencing and not respecting their fellow Canadians.

The fact that towards the end of your show you backtracked somewhat from some of these heinous attitudes that you spouted earlier in the show does not in anyway help.

I suspect you should be the point person on the wall of shame, you are so quick to attach people's name to for your callous attitude towards a humanitarian crisis.

1 comment:

  1. By author.....

    Got an interesting call from my wife the day afer I had sent this letter in to CFRB. Apparenty Bill Caroll the host, decided to read my letter out over the radio and I suspect make fun of it; or more likely use his prepared remarks to tear it apart. I only found out based on a call from my wife that morning who happened to be at home asking if infact I had written to CFRB, and if so then my letter was being read and that i was being excoriated. Really no surprise based on the nature of his show and the angle that his appeal is worked at. Clearly some nerve was hit, beacuse the letter was sufficiently noticeable or provocative or truthful, to bother him and his producer possibly.
    Bottom line is that it may not have achieved anything more than provide folks with possibly another opportunity to try and get some background on the humanitarian crisis I had alluded to in my initial letter. If so then I feel as though I may have made a contribution as small as it be deemed.

    ReplyDelete